Director & Coach (5th/6th Grade Girls & High School 15u & 17u):
Candice Gonzales is from Gilbert, Arizona. She attended Gilbert High School where she won 2 State Championship Titles. She earned first team all region honors her junior year and second team all region honors her senior year. She was also chosen to be part of the All-East Valley team both her junior and senior years. From there Coach Gonzales accepted a JUCO basketball scholarship to play at Grayson County College in Texas. She then went on to play at Grand Canyon University. During her junior year of basketball, at GCU, she was named California Collegiate Athletic Association Second Team All-Conference. Her senior year she averaged almost 30 points a game during conference play and was named CCAA First Team All-Conference and CCAA Player of the Year. At GCU Coach Gonzales is in the top 3 scoring record in GCU history. After college Coach Gonzales had the opportunity to try out with the Phoenix Mercury and the Utah Starz two years in a row. Coach Gonzales started coaching at 16 years old. She ran WHAM summer camps for over 5 years, after college she was the assistant JV girl’s basketball coach at Gilbert High for one season, and is presently the head varsity girl’s basketball coach at Mesquite High School. She is starting her 20th season coaching at MHS. In 2017 she coached the Mesquite High School team to a State Championship! Coach Gonzales Co-Coached the 7th grade Red Elite team to a 16th ranking in the Nation at the AAU National Tournament the summer of 2013. Coach Gonzales also has a great passion and love for teaching and coaching the game of basketball. She is excited to share that love and passion through coaching and training the athletes of Team Arizona.
Director & Coach (All teams):
- 1992 Street & Smith’s Magazine High School Honorable Mention All-American.
- 1992-94 Phoenix Community College Men’s Basketball Scholarship.
- 1994-96 Grand Canyon University Men’s Basketball Scholarship.
- 1996-98 Played Professionally in Mexico for various teams.
- 1998 Played for Mexican All Star Team (with NBA player’s Horacio Llamas & Eduardo Najera) vs. Magic Johnson and his traveling All Star Team on National Television in Mexico City and Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 2005-current Wham basketball coach for my kids.
- 2000-2008 Mesquite High School Girls Basketball Assistant Coach
- 2009-current Coach Annual basketball clinic for Children with Developmental Disabilities through ITC Personal In-Home Care.
- 2008-2010 Coached AZLH 10u & 11u Girls Basketball.
- 2010 Coached 10u AAU State Championships.
- 2010 Coached 11u AAU Reno, NV Championships.
- 2010-current Team Arizona Club Basketball Director & Coach.
- 2013 Co-Coached 7th Grade Girls TAZ Red Elite at AAU National Tournament to 16th place out of 52 teams. AAU has Red Elite ranked #16 Nationally.
- 2013 Assisted Former Suns Players (Horacio Llamas, Tom Chambers, Steven Hunter, & Tim Kempton) with a basketball clinic in Nogales, AZ. Sponsored and coordinated by the Phoenix Suns.
Coach (Girls 15u & 17u Co-Coach):
Coach Al played H.S. Varsity Basketball for 4 years. He then went on to play college ball at Union Pacific in Angwin, Northern California. He also played while serving in the United States Marine Corps. While serving in the core he was meritoriously promoted twice, one in tour of duty in Iraq and Macs-1 Marine of the quarter. Coach Al volunteered to coach basketball while on the Las Vegas Police Department, for troubled youth. He also coached at the Boys & Girls club and at the YMCA. Coach Al is currently the head coach of the girls varsity basketball team at American Leadership Academy Gilbert-North (Higley Rd. & 202 Fwy), and has also been an assistant coach for the women's basketball team at Chandler-Gilbert Community College for the past two years. He has been an assistant coach with the Team Arizona basketball club for past 7 years. He is extremely honored to have this privilege to work with the Mesquite Girls Basketball players and the coaching staff. Go Wildcats!!! Coach Al is happily married and has 4 kids.
P.S He also dunked in the 9th grade at 5'7"
Coach (Boys Youth Teams):
Born and raised in Hawaii and currently resides in Gilbert, AZ. Married to Kristina Kai and they have two amazing children Kiana and Isaiah. Loves basketball, the beach, old school rap and reggae music.
- 1988 Hawaii Athlete of the Week
- 1988-89 Street & Smith’s Magazine High School Honorable
Mention All- American
- 1988-89 McDonald’s All-American Honorable Mention
- 1988-89 ILH Conference Player of the Year – Kamehameha
- 1988-89 First Team All-State - Honolulu Advertiser and
- 1989-1991 Marymount College Men’s Basketball
Scholarship – Team Captain
- 1991-1993 Pacific University Men’s Basketball Scholarship
– Team Captain
- 1993 Pacific University’s Individual record holder for most
assist in a game with 13
- 1993 NCIC 2nd Team All- Conference
- 1994-1996 Basketball Trainer for various high school
athletes – Forest Grove, OR
- 1994 – Graduate Assistant Coach Pacific University
- 2000-02 – Coach Kamehameha Schools Junior High boys
basketball summer team
- 2013- present Co-Coach Team Arizona boys basketball team